This page is designed to help you ensure your submission is ready for and fits the scope of the journal.
Before submitting you should read over the guidelines here, then register an account (or login if you have an existing account)
About Bioscience Horizons
Bioscience Horizons (ISSN:1754-7431) is an open-access peer-reviewed journal publishing outstanding undergraduate and master’s international research in the biosciences free of charge.
The journal produces insightful and original opinion pieces and news articles that disseminate bioscience awareness to the general public and contribute to scientific progress. Our submissions come from all around the world.
Bioscience Horizons is a University College London (UCL) project in association with UCL Press. The journal is managed by UCL students supervised by a board of academics from different universities in the UK.
You will find more information about the journal at https://biosciencehorizons.wixsite.com/biosciencehorizons.
Focus and Scope for Bioscience Horizons
To be published in Bioscience Horizons scientific papers should follow the following criteria:
- Research papers should be of exceptional relevance, accuracy and delivery.
- Manuscripts must contain novel research findings or critical appraisal.
- Research papers should be of substantial scientific interest.
- Research papers should be appealing both to students, academics and researchers in the biosciences and to the general public.
- Submitted research papers must describe work carried out while the author was an undergraduate or masters students.
- Graduate students can submit research articles regarding projects performed during their undergraduate degree, provided that it is submitted within 6 months from graduation.
- The author must be able to obtain authorisation for submission from their project supervisor or senior academic member of staff.
- Main results and conclusions of the research must not have been submitted or published elsewhere.
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all the following items. If authors do not adhere to these guidelines, submissions may be returned:
- The submission has not been previously published, nor it is before another journal for consideration.
- The submission file is in Microsoft Word or OpenOffice document format.
- Where available, reference DOI and URLs have been provided.
- The submission follows the eligibility criteria described above.
- If submitting to a peer-reviewed section of the journal, the instructions in Ensuring a Blind Review have been followed.
Please note that the Article cannot be submitted and the Journal cannot proceed to publication of the Article if the terms of the UCL Open Access Student Journals Article Contributor Agreement are not agreed to by the Corresponding Contributor Author. By submitting to the Journal the Corresponding Contributor Author confirm that the article (or any iteration of it) is not under consideration for publication by any other publisher and has not already been published under another publisher’s imprint and hereby agrees to the UCL Open Access Student Journals Article Contributor Agreement Terms https://ucl.janewaysharedhosting.com/site/contributor_agreement on behalf any/all co-authors and all authors understand that these terms apply to the article when published.
Bioscience Horizons allows the following licences for submission:
- CC BY 4.0 - More Information
Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use. No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
All UCL Open Access Student Journals do not charge an Article-Processing Charge (APC) for submission or publication. UCL Open Access Student Journal authors of accepted papers will not be required to make an APC payment for submission or publication before publication of their article.
Peer ReviewPeer reviewed articles submitted to the Journal are subject to double-blind peer review, where both the reviewers and authors are anonymised during review. Authors should submit an anonymous version of the manuscript, stripped of all identifying references to the author(s) for peer review.
Publication CycleThis journal is published continuously (as and when articles are ready for publication following peer review) all year round.
Original Research Article
News & opinion