The UJE is now open to submissions for the 2022/23 academic year. The deadline for submissions to Issue II is 23:59 BST, Monday 10th April 2023.
Any submissions after this deadline will only be considered over the next academic year.
This page is designed to help you ensure your submission is ready for and fits the scope of the journal. Before submitting you should read over the guidelines here, then register an account (or login if you have an existing account).
The UCL Journal of Economics is the official peer-reviewed, student-run journal of the UCL Department of Economics. In line with UCL’s philosophy of a research focused approach to education, it aims to provide a platform for undergraduate economists at UCL and worldwide to showcase their rigorous economic research, regardless of background or previous experience.
The journal adds value to students at UCL by offering a chance to extend the research they undertake within and outside university modules. It will always be free to read and submit papers to us and we aim to maintain high standards of content, editing, and peer-review to uphold the reputation of our authors. We believe this makes the journal an important institution for undergraduate students across the world.
We publish one issue a year, to which any undergraduate student can submit a paper for consideration.
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- All authors have given permission to be listed on the submitted paper and satisfy the authorship guidelines.
- The submission file is in OpenOffice, Microsoft Word, RTF, or WordPerfect document file format.
- All DOIs for the references have been provided, when available.
- Tables and figures are all cited in the text. Tables are included within the text document, whilst figure files are uploaded as supplementary files.
- Figures/images have a resolution of at least 150dpi (300dpi or above preferred). Each file is no more than 20MB per file. The files are in one of the following formats: JPG, TIFF, GIF, PNG, EPS (to maximise quality, the original source file is preferred).
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines found here. If submitting to a peer-reviewed section of the journal, this includes following the instructions to ensure blind peer review.
Please note that an Article cannot be submitted and the Journal cannot proceed to publication of the Article if the terms of the UCL Open Access Student Journals Article Contributor Agreement are not agreed to by the Corresponding Contributor Author. By submitting to the Journal the Corresponding Contributor Author confirms that the article (or any iteration of it) is not under consideration for publication by any other publisher and has not already been published under another publisher’s imprint and hereby agrees to the UCL Open Access Student Journals Article Contributor Agreement Terms https://student-journals.ucl.ac.uk/site/contributor_agreement on behalf any/all co-authors and all authors understand that these terms apply to the article when published.
UJE operates double blind peer review, where both the reviewers and authors are anonymised during review. Authors should submit an anonymous version of the manuscript, stripped of all identifying references to the author(s) for peer review.
Further information regarding peer review can be found on the editorial policy pages.
UCL Journal of Economics allows the following licences for submission:
- CC BY 4.0
Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use. No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
All UCL Open Access Student Journals do not charge an Article-Processing Charge (APC) for submission or publication. UCL Open Access Student Journal authors of accepted papers will not be required to make an APC payment for submission or publication before publication of their article.
Publication CycleUJE publishes one issue per year.
Explore Econ Research Papers
Research Fellow Research Paper
Guest Features Research Papers